When a child is overweight, it is a family problem, which requires the commitment of all its members with the diets that are indicated. To the extent that the feeding of obese children is cared for, not only overweight and childhood obesity will be avoided, but also serious consequences in adulthood.
Causes of childhood obesity
Obesity is not an exclusive problem for adults, as more and more children are overweight. This situation is due to multiple factors:
- Fast foods: the elaboration of fast foods, rich in fats, due to its easy and fast preparation.
- Eating out: more time away from home, which means eating fast and the first thing you find.
- Eating distracted: more time in front of the television, game console, computer, make children eat without paying attention to what they eat.
- Lack of exercises: a life increasingly sedentary, without the practice of sports or physical activity.
You are interested in reading: 6 Tips to make your children eat vegetables
These factors influence not only the increasingly early appearance of obesity but also complications such as diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, cardiovascular problems and respiratory insufficiency that impair the quality of life of the future adult.
Foods not allowed for children with childhood obesity
When it comes to trying to correct habits, it is necessary to emphasize the diet for overweight and for childhood obesity. For this purpose, diets for obese children are elaborated, which are based on a selection of foods not allowed and allowed foods. These foods must be adequate to ensure the good growth and development of the child, without adding extra calories.
Among the allowed foods, we can find:
- Whole milk and whole yogurt
- Fat or mature cheeses
- Meat with fat
- Sweet cookies
- Pastry products
- Carbonated drinks
- Avoid excess salt: fried snacks can enter this category
Recommended foods for children with childhood obesity
On the other hand, to combat childhood obesity we must encourage the child to consume these foods in its proper measure:
- Skimmed milk: 2 or 3 glasses daily.
- Skimmed yogurt: with cereals without sugar, with fruit, a unit or in replacement of milk.
- Dietary cheese: a small piece, or 4 tablespoons of skimmed cheese.
- Lean meat: fish, chicken without skin, fat-free beef, with one or two servings daily.
- Eggs: 3 units per week.
- Vegetables: all are valid, with a minimum of three units per day.
- Fruits: they are all valid, consuming 3 fruits.
- Whole wheat bread: consume 2 slices at breakfast and 2 at lunch, avoiding white bread.
- Whole grains: (oats, rice, pasta), can replace the potato. Consume 3 tablespoons of cooked cereal.
- Brewer’s yeast: you can add 2 credits distributed throughout the day. It can be incorporated in soup, yogurt, juice or water.
- Natural sweetener: like stevia. Use to make a dessert or to sweeten the milk, juices.
- Soft drinks or carbonated dietary drinks: only without sugars.
- Non-carbonated mineral water: at least 6 glasses per day.
- Homemade vegetable broth
- Sunflower or olive oils, with 4 teaspoons of tea per day.
- Condiments: oregano, nutmeg, Laurel.
Other recommendations against childhood obesity
Whatever the child’s weight, a healthy diet and the usual practice of physical exercise will be important. The poor diet of children is, in the vast majority of cases, the fault of their families, who do not teach them to eat well. To comply with the proper principles for your diet, we can follow these recommendations:
- Prepare healthy versions of children’s favorite dishes, substituting less healthy products for others with more beneficial properties.
- Encourage children to exercise. Simple activities such as playing in the garden or in the park will help children to follow a much healthier lifestyle. On the contrary, a sedentary lifestyle due to the long hours that many children spend in front of the television is one of the main causes of childhood obesity.
In short, it is not very difficult to make children follow a healthy lifestyle, but due to the lack of responsibility of their age, it must be the parents who know how to guide them to maintain an adequate diet.
We also recommend you to check this article: http://fruitnfood.com/2018/04/28/4-spoon-recipes-for-babies-from-12-to-24-months/